Confusion about IDP Flex Positions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
dudeman2020 dudeman2020
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Confusion about IDP Flex Positions

Hey there. I really enjoy the weekly articles put out. I didn't know anything about IDP before stumbling upon this forum.

One issue I am still having is who to start in the IDP Flex positions. My 12 GM dynasty league starts 2LB, 1DL, 1DB, and 2FLEX. The scoring is as follows: IDPTD+6, Sack+2, Blocked Punt/PAT or FG+2, Interception+4, Fumble Recovery+2, Forced Fumble+2, Safety+2, Assisted tackle+0.50, Solo Tackle+1, Pass Defend+1.

Right now I own Anthony Walker Jr, Devin White, Kyzir White, Jerome Baker, Jeremy Chinn, John Johnson II, Logan Wilson, Isaiah Simmons, Mack Wilson. Cameron Jordan.

At DB, DL, and LB I pretty much use your weekly rankings for those position. At the FLEX I'm never certain if I should choose and LB or DB type player. I use the sleeper app so sometimes one player has multiple designations and I can take advantage of that. I'm really just confused about who to start in those two FLEX spots. How do I compare the LB and DB rankings list to choose the right guy. Any suggestions of how I can make those decisions?
Ktemery1 Ktemery1
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Confusion about IDP Flex Positions

@dudeman2020 - this is my first year in an IDP league so I am still learning a lot.  What I have found in my research and study this year is that for the IDP position I almost always lean toward starting a LB in that spot.  This may not be true for everyone depending on your roster, matchups, etc.  For me I have found that the LBs are generally always around the ball just by nature of the position. Plus if you have an every down LB then they will be on the field a lot more.  More snaps means more opportunities to make plays. I have 4 LB's on my roster and all are every down LB's. So one of them is always in my IDP flex spot.  Hope this helps.

dudeman2020 dudeman2020
Reply | Threaded
|

@Ktemery1 I certainly have heard this advice before, I think it is sound advice and am doing what I can to pick up every down LBs. That being said I still often come up against situations where I lack confidence choosing between and LB and DB. I will describe a circumstance below.

This week I am going LB1 Devin White, LB2 Anthony Walker, DB John Johnson, DL Cameron Jordan, FLEX1 Jeremy Chin FLEX2 Kyzir White. I do not have a problem starting Chinn this week because Christian Kirksey is injured and none of my other rookies or LBs are every down guys yet, and Baker is getting reduced snaps so he's risky. I think this week the decision is easy.

In a hypothetical situation where Christian Kirksey is NOT injurded this week, my decision is not so easy and I lack understanding to make the decision confidently. In week 5 here using idpgurus rankings do I start Jeremy Chinn over Kyzir White this week? Kyzir is LB#16 this week, where as Jeremy Chinn is DB#4? Why do I make this decision, and what metrics do I use to make this decision? This is where I am not confident. Maybe DB4 and LB16 are too separated and the decision is easy for some. What if there isn't as much separation, like its DB 4 and LB10 or DB8 and LB12 I am choosing between? Then maybe the decision is easier based on the sound advice of starting an every down LB. If that's the case, what is the degree of ranking separation between DB# and LB# where you start the DB?
Ktemery1 Ktemery1
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by dudeman2020
@dudeman2020 I understand what you are saying about comparability and rankings across positions. I look at the players and the matchup.  Ryans rankings on this site compare to ECR which is on the Fantasy Pros website.  If you look there on the weekly rankings it gives you a projected point amount for each IDP.  That's just another stat I look at - although its a "projection".  I also look at how player's are trending and their weekly points.  I know their will be some ups and downs based on matchup but I am bigger on consistent production. So I like to see a little more evenness in their points across the weeks.  I feel like the best players will for the most part be consistent.  
Ranger1 Ranger1
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by dudeman2020
I know I am very late to this thread, but just came across it and felt I could add some advice. I am by no means an expert, but I have been playing IDP leagues for a long time now (20+ years, I believe), so I can throw out a little bit of wisdom, perhaps.

You've already taken the first step by ignoring the DL position for the flex spots.

In the leagues I've played in, LB is largely the default flex player......BUT, our scoring is higher for tackles/assists (1 pt for assist, and 2 for a tackle). Your scoring being what it is (adding passes defensed as well) means that your league's scoring has been set up to put more balance between LBs and DBs.  Makes things much tougher.

Ignore the rankings (DB4 vs LB16, for instance). If you click on a player in the rankings list, you'll link to a player page with projections for the coming week. Use those projections (or modify them if you'd like) and get a projected score using your scoring system. THAT will give you more of a definitive ranking across positions.