Time to Cut Bait with Tony Jefferson?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Shayne Shayne
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Time to Cut Bait with Tony Jefferson?

I picked up both Justin Evans (Tampa) and Tavon Wilson (Detroit) this week as i am getting poor production from Tony Jefferson this year. He hasn't been nearly as effective in Baltimore as he was in Arizona. Is it time to just cut him or is there a chance that he bounces back? He doesn't seem to play near the line at all anymore which was one of the aspects of his IDP game that made him a stud in Arizona. Thanks!
Michael Michael
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Time to Cut Bait with Tony Jefferson?

I drafted Jefferson as my Number 1 DB and I stuck with him... until yesterday. I decided to cut him for Amos.

He simply isn't playing close enough to the LOS due to the Ravens D (in particular LBs) being far more effective than what he was playing with at Arizona.

There is a chance he comes good but I felt Amos was worth it.

I now have Branch, Amos, Poyer and just picked up Eric Reid who should be back to full snaps this week (and playing a lot at LB)
Shayne Shayne
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Time to Cut Bait with Tony Jefferson?

Thanks for the response, Michael. I watched enough games to see why Tony was effective last year and why he wasn't this year, but it hurt knowing that's he has the talent to be a top IDP in the right system. I too lost patience and picked up Justin Evans from Tampa this week while cutting Tony. I'm confident that Evans is now their starting safety on a team that gives up lots of yards and big plays on defense, so I'm hoping things work out there.

I might not be out of the woods as my other DB is Harrison Smith who seems to be suffering from the same problem in Minnesota. Their defense is so good near the LOS that he just never sees many tackle opportunities anymore. He just doesn't play as aggressively as he has in year's past as a result. I picked up Tavon Wilson this week and will see which of these two plays better in the next few weeks before probably cutting one of them, but Smith seems to be suffering from the same problem Tony is and my defense can't thrive without better play from my DBs.