Stacking the Deck- STUD 4-3 DE's

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
ONONE ONONE
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stacking the Deck- STUD 4-3 DE's

First off, love the site man, great stuff, keep up the hard work. Its appreciated.  

Ive been playing idp for about 3 years now and its a whole lot better than team defense. I have found that LB's are much more deeper than DE's at draft time and on the waiver wire in season. I'm really considering going Jared Allen and Julius Peppers back to back this year. (Trent Cole, Mario Williams, Justin Tuck- worthy considerations also).  I love both of their schedules, skill set and obvious track record.  Im really considering doing this and grabbing 2 tackle heavy LB' and one big play OLB, preferabley a DE/OLB eligible guy with big play ability in the later rounds. (Clay Matthews, Brian Orakpo, Lamar Woodly types) I dont worry about DB's all that much until way late in the draft or unless the price is too good to pass up.

I believe having 2 stud DE's is comparable to drafting back to back stud wr's with your 1st and 2nd round picks, its not the safest route but consistent wr play is comparable to consistent DE play.  just my 2 cents

This cat has Allen and peppers with some money match ups. and I tend to agree
http://idpfantasyrankings.com/2010-idp-defensive-end-rankings/

we start 2lb 2dl 2 db 1flex
5pts per sack, 1 solo .5 half tackle

Thoughts?

Thanks Pimpin
theidpguru theidpguru
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stacking the Deck- STUD 4-3 DE's

Thanks for the compliments Pimpin!

I think it makes perfect sense to go out and grab back-to-back DLs. Your scoring system has a definite big-play slant to it (5:1 sack to tackle ratio). Obviously, Jared Allen should be your first selection. From there, it's debatable between Tuck, Peppers, Cole, and Williams. I personally like the consistency of Trent Cole and I really like the upside of Tuck this season, but Peppers or Williams are solid and worthy selections as well.

I agree with your linebacker strategy as well. I tend to select tackle-heavy linebackers with my first couple picks and then I select a big-play linebacker later in rounds as a high risk/reward type linebacker.
ONONE ONONE
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stacking the Deck- STUD 4-3 DE's

lol Right on

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, if sacks weren't 5pts a pop, then i would defintely go a different direction. Demarcus Ware was the 2nd idp off the board last year after Willis cause he had 20 sacks the year before. Last year he didnt really come on until late. Just one of many examples of how hard it can be to predict sack leaders from year to year.

Thats funny how you brought up Trent Cole cause my favorite waiver wire site Dude from last year, Monk, likes him too behind Allen using this strategy. I got love for Monk cause some of his picks got my d to the next level and ultimately a championship. (Bernard Pollard HUGE pick up, Clay Matthews, Bryon Scott-converted saftey to lb was a nice one also)

http://monksidpweeknflfantasyfootball.blogspot.com/

"There is only one exception to this rule and that is if your league requires a Defensive End (DE) position.  DE’s are very slim pickins’. My strategy is to draft them before you take any other defensive player. In fact, I personally feel that there are only 2 actual DEs that I would want on my team this year: Jared Allen & Trent Cole"

haha