Draft Strategy

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
bluebelly83 bluebelly83
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Draft Strategy

Obviously this site focuses on IDP, but leagues still include all the offensive guys also.

I'm in a 12 team, 24 round keeper league (where everyone keeps four guys).

What round would you expect the tier 1 guys off the board?  What round do you think I should start pulling the trigger?  I have made it a point in the past not to draft any D guys until the second half of the draft.  However, after seeing guys like P Willis take off in the last few years, I am reconsidering that this season.  Your thoughts?

Offense League Value
Completions .5
Passing Yards 50 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 6
Interceptions -2
Rushing Yards 10 yards per point
Rushing Touchdowns 6
Receptions .5
Reception Yards 10 yards per point
Reception Touchdowns
Return Yards 30 yards per point
Return Touchdowns 6
2-Point Conversions 2
Fumbles Lost -2
Offensive Fumble Return TD 6
Kickers League Value Yahoo! Default Value
Field Goals 0-19 Yards 3
Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3
Field Goals 30-39 Yards 3
Field Goals 40-49 Yards 4
Field Goals 50+ Yards 5
Point After Attempt Made 1
Defensive Players League Value
Tackle Solo 1
Tackle Assist .5
Sack 6
Interception 6
Fumble Force 3
Fumble Recovery 4
Defensive Touchdown 6
Safety 2
Pass Defended 1
Block Kick 5
theidpguru theidpguru
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Draft Strategy

This is one of the most asked and difficult questions to answer. I always tend to wait later than most to start taking IDPs since I consider myself much more knowledgeable on the defensive side of the ball as opposed to the offensive side. I would rather continuing grabbing middle-tier offensive guys while everyone else is switching to defense. I believe my knowledge of IDPs gives me a relative advantage if used is this way (i.e. I can grab IDP sleepers late and good get value still) since most people aren't as knowledgeable about the defensive side of the ball as they are on the offensive side.

The first IDP being taken in almost all leagues is Patrick Willis and he's currently going in about the middle of the 3rd round in 12 team leagues. This is too high for my liking. I'd rather grab Ruud, Poz, or Lofton about 3-4 rounds later.

You seem fairly comfortable with IDP. I would objectively compare your IDP knowledge to that of your fellow leaguemates and decide when to start going IDP based on that.
bluebelly83 bluebelly83
Reply | Threaded
|

I agree 100%.  That's why I usually wait until the second half of the draft.  I usually don't take my first defensive player until round 13, and I still end up with a top 5 defense most seasons.  I may adapt that to get a few guys this year, but I will weigh it more on the availability and value, less on what my league mates are doing.

Thanks again.
Josh L Josh L
Reply | Threaded
|

I agree with this, although I do like to spend a relatively high pick to grab 1 or 2 LBs.  I play in a 16 team league and last year I grabbed Beason in the 4th, Harris in the 6th (who knew that Rex Ryan would turn him into a stud?) and Cushing was an unexpected bonus in the 15th round.  Our league set up allows a guy like Patrick Willis to be the top scorer in the league and he usually goes in the 2nd round.

When it comes to DB and DL I wait until almost the end of the draft and grab sleepers and mislabelled LBs.  I'm just aiming for guys who can keep up to the average, but last year I hit gold with Brian Dawkins.  Most years my starting DLs and DBs at the end of the year are guys I pick up on waivers as the gems start to emerge in the first few weeks.  Most of the time I spend a middle round pick on a DL or DB (Justin Smith and Josh Wilson last year) they end up getting dumped for an emerging waiver wire guy anways.

My advice is when you see a guy who puts together 2 or 3 solid IDP games to start the season you grab him immediately, especially if you think the spike in production is due to a new role in the defence (now a starter, or position/scheme change) as opposed to just a lucky play (obviously the DL who gets a lucky INT for a TD is not a good target for repeat performance).