classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Obiwan Kenblomi Obiwan Kenblomi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Diles over Bishop at LB. Why?

Hi.  Question for you -

I noticed in your answering some questions on your Weekly Pickups article that you recommended Diles a few times.  Once even saying you'd get Diles over Bishop.  I feel the exact opposite and am curious as to your reasons.

To me it seems Diles is down as long as Cushing is back.  Cushing came back week 5.  Week 5 & 6, since Cushing's return, have been 4 and 3 tackle performances for Diles.  It seems that when Cushing's back that Diles plays more passively.  Not only does Cushing take some of the tackles that Diles would get but Diles seems not as agressive to me.  Not much, just slightly.  Or maybe it's just me.  Either way - I don't like Diles over Bishop.

Am I missing something?  Curious to hear your reasoning.

Thanks for your time.

Obi
My IDP scoring system: 16 team Keeper League:  TK-1pt, ATK-1, Sack-3, Int-3, FF & FR-3, PD-1.  Multiple bonus thresholds for high TK and ATK each, Sacks, INT Yds and FR Yds.
theidpguru theidpguru
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Diles over Bishop at LB. Why?

Starting Texans MLB DeMeco Ryans is out for the year with a torn achilles tendon. Diles, more than likely, slides into a three-down, MLB role in Houston which is fantasy gold. We know that he can produce as he was putting up very nice numbers from his WLB position in Weeks 1-4. IDP is about opportunity often times over talent. I would expect Diles to be a solid LB2 the rest of the year if he does indeed become the starting MLB.

I'm high on Bishop as well. However, it remains to be seen what is going to happen when Brandon Chillar comes back from injury. Chillar may play in the nickel over Bishop which hurts his value as he then becomes a two-down linebacker.

Those are my reasons for recommending Diles over Bishop in the long run.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ah, ok.  I heard that Diles might not be moving to MLB.  I'll take your intel over mine, though, anyday!

Thanks for the heads up.
My IDP scoring system: 16 team Keeper League:  TK-1pt, ATK-1, Sack-3, Int-3, FF & FR-3, PD-1.  Multiple bonus thresholds for high TK and ATK each, Sacks, INT Yds and FR Yds.
theidpguru theidpguru
Reply | Threaded
|

Anon Anon
Reply | Threaded
|

Bishop had another solid outing.  However, I am reluctanct to pick him up and drop another good (yet not Bishop good) if circumstances change where Bishop is no longer a 3 down back.  However, Chillar seems to be back and Bishop is still putting up solid numbers.  I'm just hesistant to pick him up and have him put up mediocre numbers after the Packers switch things back up.  What are your thoughts on Bishop going forward?  

Thanks. Anon.
Dave Larkin Dave Larkin
Reply | Threaded
|

When I watched the game for my IDP Game Notes (available tomorrow on the site), I noticed that Chillar and Hawk were playing in the nickel packages, yet Desmond Bishop still put up very solid tackle numbers and actually played quite well. I would be wary of trusting him if he isn't a three down backer, but wait and see how this one pans out.
David Larkin: writer of the weekly publication "IDP Game Notes"
Find me on Twitter: @davlar87
Reply | Threaded
|

I got to watch some of the Green Bay game as well and it seemed that Bishop was in a lot but I saw Chillar floating around as well.  I'm so tempted to drop $40 to get the NFL game replays online so I don't have to guess about this stuff.  I wasn't able to watch the entire Green Bay game and it's bugging the heck out of me.

If you get to see it, Dave, could you let me know how much he was in?  Since the injury to Barnett, Bishop has averaged near the top in my league in points-per-game (last 4 weeks).

Quick question on Diles as well - he looked good this weekend from what I saw (limited game clips).   Looks like he racked up 11 tackles.  What are your thoughts on him for the rest of the season?  I have Dansby  but am not overly thrilled with him - even though he got some tackles this weekend.  I'm very tempted to pick up Diles for Dansby, but it's close enough that I would like your point of view on this one.

Thanks guys,

Obi

theidpguru theidpguru
Reply | Threaded
|

As far as I know, Chillar was in for Bishop in passing situations for a good amount of snaps. Not great news, but not the end of the world for Bishop's value either.

Diles looked good, but was the beneficiary of playing on the outside in nickel packages (which were used for most of the game). I expect Diles' production to be in the 5-7 solo range most games. I think Dansby gets you similar production with a bit more big-play upside. But, I'm a Dansby-lover, so maybe Dave has a different opinion.
Reply | Threaded
|

I'm going to stick with Dansby based on your 5-7 tackle prediction.  I, as well, think that Dansby can get me 5-7 with a bit more potential.  I was leaning towards keeping him.  Thanks for making me feel a bit better about it :)