classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Obiwan Kenblomi Obiwan Kenblomi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

DL playing LB advice and a few other questions

Hello,

First off - I play in a league that gives tackles and assists each one point.  Sacks & Int are 3 and ff & fr are as well.  Passes Def are 1.

I'm in a keeper leauge that is VERY experienced and was around long before I got in 3 years ago.  These guys (with the exception of 2) all know what the heck they are doing.  We have 16 teams and keep 6 on O and D each year.

To my questions:

Grabbing DL who play some LB is pretty hard to do in my leauge as everyone's usually on to it as well.  I managed to get one (as far as I can tell) this week though.  Since Tckls are such a premium in my league it's a good p/u for me.  Your opinion on Chris Ellis for the Bills?  Am I correct in my analysis of him being a hybrid DL/LB?  What do you think about him?  In such a deep leauge it's hard to get good DL (we require 2 DL) and I hope he's going to stay active at LB.

Second question - your thoughts on Sean Weatherspoon?  I didn't get to see the game (or Ellis' game for that matter).  I read your write-up on him but I noticed it was before his Week 1 performance.  A little higher on him now?  About the same?  I think he had a great performance for his first game and he seemed to active around the ball.  He's on my bench now but I'm hoping he's a stud-to-be for the future.  Dansby is my starter along with Bradie James.  I'm hoping to move Weatherspoon into James' spot sometime this year.  Wishful thinking?

Third question - I've had a good feeling about Nate Allen - the DB in Philly since early in the preseason.  I picked him about a month ago (our draft is before the preseason starts) and stashed him based on stuff I was hearing out of Philly.  Week 1 he netted me 10 points via 5 tk, 1 Pd and an Int (plus 1pt for 10 Int yds).  Has my hunch paid off?  Do I have a young starting DB?  His low tcks worry me a bit, but like I said, it's a deep and well played keeper league.  Your thoughts?

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate your time,

Obi

My IDP scoring system: 16 team Keeper League:  TK-1pt, ATK-1, Sack-3, Int-3, FF & FR-3, PD-1.  Multiple bonus thresholds for high TK and ATK each, Sacks, INT Yds and FR Yds.
theidpguru theidpguru
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: DL playing LB advice and a few other questions

First Question - Ellis is a LB classified at DL. However, he was just filling in for the injured Reggie Torbor who could return this week. Once he returns, Ellis will head back to the bench and be pretty worthless. Sorry!

Second Question - Weatherspoon looked pretty darn good. The big news was that he was playing in the nickel NOT Mike Peterson. He put up good numbers (7-1-0) and I'd start him over Bradie James right now.

Third Question - I had Allen ranked in the 40's in my preseason draft rankings. He's a guy that will get you an average amount of tackles and mix in some big plays making him a solid DB3. I don't see a ton of upside beyond that however due to the lack of tackles.

Hope this helps Obi!
Obiwan Kenblomi Obiwan Kenblomi
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: DL playing LB advice and a few other questions

Ok,

I'm dropping Ellis.  I got some bad info on him.  Multiple sites said he was staying in the lineup.  But again, that's why I'm here - I can't watch all the games and so many sites have bad info.

I was going to wait for a few more solid weeks before I put Weatherspoon in since James is a solid 10 pts every week but I'll go ahead and put him in on your info.  It's great that he's in on nickel D!  I didn't think he'd be in there so soon.  That's great news for how well he's picking up the D!

As for Allen - I know you think I should drop him but I'm going to give him another week or two.  In my 16 team league with 2 DB each that means that the top 32 DB's *should* be gone.  I think his tackles might go up and since he's a rookie I think he's worth holding for a little bit since I have no injuries yet and have a little wiggle room on my bench.  It's just so hard to tell how much of a playmaker he's going to be and what his learning curve will be.  All that being said - he's a DB and they are far easier to pick up in my league than any other position so I'll not bank on him too much.

Thanks for the info!

Obi
My IDP scoring system: 16 team Keeper League:  TK-1pt, ATK-1, Sack-3, Int-3, FF & FR-3, PD-1.  Multiple bonus thresholds for high TK and ATK each, Sacks, INT Yds and FR Yds.